Although, historically, politics, has been marginally, partisan, in nature, we have never, in recent memory, observed, such a degree of unwillingness, to consider, bipartisan cooperation, even when it is the requirement of the American people. This behavior, which might be referred to, as, politics, over policy/ people, is bad leadership, because it, unfairly favors, one’s political supporters, over the rest of the public. Wouldn’t we better served, if, after elected, politicians transformed into statesmen, and focused on the common good, rather than personal political agenda, and/ or self – interest? With that in mind, this article will try to briefly consider, review, and discuss, 5 reasons, this is, both, bad policy and a lack of genuine leadership.
1. Not relevant: Empty rhetoric and promises, might garner votes, and be popular, but it is not genuine leadership, nor in the best interests of the general public! America, especially with the many challenges, the world and nation, faces, today, needs relevant solutions, as opposed to polarization, or pitting one segment against another! Whether this is due to the exceptional character, and nature, of President Donald Trump, or an undesirable tendency, it doesn’t achieve, what is best, for many Americans!
2. Unsustainable: President Trump, in an effort to be popular, and honor his campaign promise, to change the taxation system, and lower taxation, endorsed the legislation, passed towards the end of 2017, which was portrayed, as focused on the middle – class, while actually, favoring the wealthiest individuals and corporations. In the, less than half – year, since enacted, we have observed a enormous expansion of the federal deficit, with predictions, for ever – expanding shortages, into the future, and corporations, which Trump and his assistants, asserted, would use the extra revenues, to employ more people, and pay more, have really, used most of this windfall, to grow their corporate gains!
3. Change should be, for the better, not just, for change – sake: When political rhetoric becomes empty promises, the change is, seldom, beneficial, to the overall good, of most Americans. Quantify the results, not, by the amount of rhetoric and promises, but, instead, whether it generates added benefits, for most Americans!
4. Common good, not personal agenda: Be certain, the policies and plans, are not based on personal or political agendas, or somebody’s self – interests! Unless/ until, the focus, consistently, focuses on service to the public, for the common good, instead to a politician’s assistants, and/ or donors, elected officials aren’t representing us!
5. While, this meant different things to different folks, I resented the word, again, because it indicated, we weren’t already, a quality state, and urged usto look back, to the past, instead of, into the future. We should, rather seek, to improve how government serves its people, instead of elected officials, and/ or special attention!
Unfortunately, as we are currently seeing and observing, politics and self – interest, seem to be prioritized!